Advantages of Cabin fans by Atomberg Technology
During summers, small spaces such as cabins tend to get stuffy and hot if proper air circulation is not provided. Such spaces call for cabin or wall mount fans.
A cabin fan is a small fan that is usually mounted on the walls of cabins or small rooms to circulate the air around the room. Their compact design makes them ideal for such small spaces as they can efficiently maintain ambient temperature within the chamber by creating a steady airflow and spreading it throughout the room.
Intelligent Design of the Cabin Fan
Cabin fans are particularly designed for small cabins or rooms with inadequate ventilation. Small rooms usually do not have space to accommodate a ceiling fan or pedestal fans. So, cabin fans are quite intelligently designed to promote optimum air circulation within a limited space. These fans usually come with an oscillating feature (180 degrees) and are mounted at a low height on the wall for maximum airflow. The material used for making cabin fans is superior grade plastic or metal alloys that are corrosion resistant. Also, since these fans cater to limited space, they are built to deliver high efficiency while consuming less power.
Powerful Motor and Efficient Air Delivery of Cabin fans
Most contemporary cabin fan models operate on powerful and energy efficient DC motors. DC motors work on the principle of electromagnetic induction – as the electricity passes through the coil windings around the iron core of the motor, a magnetic field is created around it, and this magnetic force causes the motor to rotate according to Fleming’s left-hand rule. The speed of the motor can be altered and regulated by increasing or decreasing the voltage. For this purpose, a potentiometer (resistor) is attached to the regulator of the fan.
The efficiency of a fan regarding air circulation is measured in Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM). The blade span and motor quality largely determine the CFM it delivers. To ensure a cabin fan’s optimum air circulation in a room, you must consider the size of the room and on which wall to install the fan so that the air can spread evenly throughout the room. While a small cabin fan for a big room will be insufficient given the vast area it has to cover, a large cabin fan for a small room will be ineffective because the area to be covered is too small for a large amount of airflow. Thus, choosing the right size cabin fan according to the cabin size is of foremost importance.
Types of Cabin Fans and Their Features
Cabin fans can be divided into two primary types.
- Rotating Type Fans
Most cabin fans fall under this category. These fans come with a gyroscopic rotation feature, meaning they can oscillate from one side to another, covering a larger area. They are mounted on walls with the help of brackets and screws. It is advised not to install these cabin fans in the corner of the room, but in such a position that they can circulate maximum air in the room.
- Non-Rotating Type FansUnlike the fan mentioned above, these fans lack the gyroscopic sweep feature. To make up for that, they usually come with a larger blade span to create a powerful airflow. Due to this reason, these fans can be installed in the corner of a room and still deliver an even air circulation throughout the room.
Cabin fans have numerous advantages that make it the best and most cost-effective choice for cooling small rooms or cabins. Here are some benefits of using a cabin fan.
- Cabin fans are cheap and budget friendly. Hence, they are the perfect economical choice for cooling small spaces.
- They are energy efficient and can be used both during summers and winters along with AC and thermostat. By creating an even air circulation within the room, cabin fans enhance the cooling effect of the AC and help you save up to 40 percent on cooling costs in summer. In winter, cabin fans can be used to push the warm air down and thereby enhance the heating effect of your thermostat. By keeping your thermostat at a low temperature, you can still keep your room warm and save about 10 percent on heating costs!
- Cabin fans not only circulate the air within the room, but they also push the warm air out and replace it with fresh air from outside. For this, you just have to run the fan in a clockwise direction so that it creates a suction force to drive the warm air out. So, your cabin will remain cool and fresh.
Usage and Applications of Cabin Fans
Due to their compact size and efficiency, today, cabin fans are widely used in tropical countries like India.
- Cabin fans for lift
Lifts can get very hot. Installing the right size cabin fan in an elevator can deliver cool air to its inmates. Cabin fans for lifts usually come with automatic sensors that start the fan when somebody enters the lift. They switch off automatically too when the lift is evacuated. This is a power saving feature of these fans.
- Cabin fans for kitchen
Cooking and other culinary activities can create smoke, odor, and moisture. Cabin fans can drive these unwanted pollutants out of the kitchen and help you maintain a clean and fresh smelling kitchen always.
- Cabin fans for storage spaces
Storage rooms are often small and stuffy. Using cabin fans in these rooms can help circulate the air around and prevent suffocation of the individuals working within.
- Cabin fans for industries
These fans are much bigger than domestic cabin fans. They are specifically designed to circulate air around heavy machinery and other industrial equipment. These fans are high-speed fans and deliver a large amount of airflow.
Advantages of Cabin fans by Atomberg TechnologyApril 15, 2019
- How Gorilla fan is better than EESL Ceiling Fan
Around two years back, EESL announced that they would be distributing 5-star (50-55 watt) fans. Based on the success of their LED scheme, UJALA, they decided to do the same thing with fans. They started distributing fans at a very cheap rate of Rs 1,150. At the outset, EESL’s scheme seemed like a smart move- […]
- Vintage & Antique Ceiling Fan
A fan is an appliance whose primary function is to circulate air in the room. A lot of people nowadays want to give their homes a beautiful, antique touch. When you spend a lot of your hard earned money on building a home, you would not wish to compromise on anything, be it the comfort […]
- How to cool a room with fan
A fan is a necessary cooling appliance for every house. By generating cool airflow within the room, fans refresh us by circulating the air all around the room. Fans are the most energy efficient and affordable means of cooling homes. They are cheaper than air coolers and air conditioners and also consume less energy than […]