Noise from ceiling fan
To find the solution to this problem of noise, the root cause needs to be identified. To identify the problem, you might have to take a closer look at the fan. You can use a ladder or a stool to reach to the height. Before checking the problem or taking a closer look make sure the fan is switched off. Clean the body, blades and accessories for better understanding. It is important to have a basic knowledge of sounds before you inspect a problem. Following are commonly heard noises from a fan:
1. Humming Noise (Low frequency sound, will mostly be in low voltage conditions)
2. Click Noise (Will sound like mouse click, will mostly be repetitive)
3. Grinding Noise (Mechanical wear sound)
4. Intermittent (Noise in pattern)
The most common noise is the humming noise. It is the sound that mostly comes from a motor. There are multiple issues which can cause this issue. This issue can also exist in your newly purchased fan, which basically is a mechanical design fault. This issue can arise due to following reasons:
• Worn out lubricant: This is the most observed issue in old fan. A normal electrician might charge you Rs 100-200 for this problem. This issue can be solved by use of WD-40, sewing machine oil or any light machine oil.
• Humming noise is typically a noise from the motor due to vibrations in the audible range which may occur either due uneven winding usually observed in cheaper/local fans or due mechanical contact inside the fan. In the above 2 conditions you need to either replace the winding or the stator/ Rotor of the fan if the wear is not reparable you need to change the entire unit.
• The issue of humming can even be observed in a newly bought fan this is a problem with the mechanical tuning of the motor. This is observed in some brands of BLDC fans in India. Generally, the vibrations in a motor not tuned properly is in the audible range, but a precisely tuned motor like one used in an Energy Efficient Gorilla Ceiling Fan will not have the problem of Humming noise.
• This sound also depends on the configuration on the configuration of poles and teeth’s typically found in BLDC motor which are responsible for the humming sound. If this motor persists in your newly bought motor then this issue cannot be solved and you might have to buy any new noiseless motor fan.
This noise is blade noise. It might come due to following problems:
• Unbalanced/ Incompatible blade: If you have used blades of different fan with your fan or interchanged blades there is a possibility of this kind of noise
• This can be a manufacturing defect in the blades. The blades are connected to shank by bolts. If there is gap between the shank and the blades, there is a possibility of click sound. This can be eliminated by either injecting quick dry glue or adhesive. A cheaper fix can be by inserting a paper between the shank and blades however this is a temporary solution.
Grinding noise is a result of mechanical wear of bearings, mechanical contact between stator and rotor due to wear and tear over a period of time. A standard double bearing is available in the market and be purchased for maximum of Rs 50-60. If there is a mechanical contact between the stator and rotor, then you might need to either change the winding on the rotor or completely change or replace the unit. It is commonly observed that if the canopy (the cover that is above your fan) is touching your motor it can also create a screeching or at times grinding noise.
You may encounter such noises due to following reason:
• Loose fitting of the screws where the fan is fixed. In longer runs the rubber which holds the fan can perish which needs to be changed.
• Loose blades fitting, may cause intermittent noise. This can be done by tightening the bolts.
Noisy ceiling fan can be a problem and it needs to be serviced immediately as soon as the problem arises. Also it is essential that while procuring a fan, a good well tuned motor should be procured to avoid any kind of noise.
Well tuned BLDC fans, apart from being the most energy efficient, are also the most noiseless fans.
- How to Cool a Room with Fan
Cooling a Room: A fan is essential for our house. The essentials in a house are many whiles, fan forms a necessary requirement. The cool breeze from a fan makes a person feel better and also there is freshness in and around the room. Ventilation is prime to keep the room airy and cool. When […]
- Modern and Contemporary Ceiling Fan
Modern Fans: Modern fans are based on the systematic design module for modern culture. This brings us to a way of designing the fans in a modern way. The modern fan concept is made to be available as a wholesale market as it sees the growth of sales. This is a new way of coming […]
- Tower Fan vs Normal Fan
Tower Fan: The tower fans as we know are an updated version of a fan in general. As in the picture they are a tower like. Also, we follow some standards for size and shapes. Tower fans are been specially designed for interior design enthusiasts. The orientation of placing such a fan in the […]
- Designer Ceiling Fan
Types of Designer Fans: Designs for fans are based on standards, these go well with the study required to emulate more brands. When seeing a designer fan we get to see that there is an understanding of the style. Also, the best in class designed designer fans standard, are brought together for different designs. The […]